Turkish banking group, Türkiye Finans Katılım Bankası, has a proactive attitude to protecting its IT systems that serve over 1 million customers across Turkey and internationally. As part of an ongoing process to improve the detection and resolution of IT/Communications issues, the bank decided to upgrade remote management of critical network and IT infrastructure in 250 branch locations.
The bank identified a need to create an out-of-band management network utilizing PSTN across its highly dispersed bank branch sites. The bank turned for advice to CTS Bilişim, an Istanbul-based expert in data center and server room monitoring and management technology. Key criteria for the solution included:
- Strong data encryption to ensure secure communications
- Built-in out-of-band access and control for the provisioning, maintenance, and repair of critical systems
- Flexible, scalable product offering to serve both data center and branch sites
- Competitive price versus performance aspect with non-restrictive upgrade policy
- Proven technology supplier with credible reference sites
Following a thorough evaluation process of competing solutions, Türkiye Finans Katılım Bankası selected the Opengear Remote Site products to enable secure remote monitoring, access and control of its distributed installs, using its built-in PSTN, serial console and management LAN connectivity.
According to Erdal Ek, Senior Network Specialist for Türkiye Finans, the Opengear solution had a number of benefits including the ease with which remote admins can upload managed infrastructure configuration and operating system images from the device’s internal flash drive for remote bare-metal provisioning and repair of critical systems.
“Opengear saves us time and allows us to quickly understand and resolve a wide range of problems and ultimately increase customer satisfaction.”
– Erdal Ek Senior Network Specialist Türkiye Finans
The bank has installed Opengear at branches across the country and Erdal Ek confirms that the out-of-band solution has improved the IT department’s ability to both manage and configure remote devices during installation or if a problem arises.
Working closely with CTS Bilişim, an Opengear partner, the bank is upgrading each branch with Opengear remote site products, integrating a secure serial console server and PSTN dial-in gateway hardened with stateful firewall, FIPS 140-2 certified SSL, strong-cipher SSH, OpenVPN and IPsec VPN, to ensure rigid security compliance around sensitive financial transactions.
For its high-density data center environments, the bank has specified the Opengear IM series Infrastructure Manager offering up to 48 console connections in a single rack unit. Türkiye Finans Katılım Bankası plans to complete the roll-out to an additional 145 sites.
- Simplified remote management including back up and restore of managed infrastructure configuration and operating system images
- Off-site configuration of network infrastructure during remote installs and upgrades
- Significant reduction in break-fix time across a wide range of infrastructure issues, including total failure of WAN connectivity